- News Categories
What it takes to be a great new homes sales negotiator
Working as a new homes sales negotiator is a challenging, fast-paced, hands-on and demanding career but also one that brings with it many benefits and there is nothing as exciting as making a sale.
But it isn’t all about the sales as being a great new homes sales negotiator requires many skills and attributes.
Here we list some skills and attributes that you will find necessary to thrive in the role:
- A talent for selling and negotiating: yes, we said that being a new homes sale negotiator isn’t all about selling and it’s not, but there is no getting around the fact that the primary role is to sell. Now not everyone is a born salesperson, and many learn they have the sales skills necessary from doing other roles.
- Having a talent for sales does not mean that to have to be loud and pushy it is all about how you read people and situations to spot the best opportunities to negotiate a sale. Being good at sales is also knowing when you won’t be able to make a sale as much as when you can.
- Energy and ambition: purchasing a home is an enormous decision and can take a lot of people a great deal of thought. Your role will be to be determined and persevere even when faced with consistent challenges and rejection. There is no doubt that this requires you to have limitless energy and ambition to succeed and to reach targets.
- The key is to be able to be confident and committed and able to use different strategies and methods while always maintaining the strongest of client relationships.
- Resilience: not every sale will complete, and you could have spent many hours on a sale only for it to fall through at the last minute. This is obviously disheartening but to be a great new homes sales negotiator you have to have the resilience and focus to stay on track and simply move onto the next sale.
- Communication & listening skills: to be a great new homes sales negotiator you need to be able to communicate in a way that clearly gets your message across so everyone can understand.
- Listening skills are also a key element to what makes a great negotiator as without you will never comprehend your client’s needs or be able to respond accordingly.
- Organised: for every house sale you will be involved with many stakeholders from the buyer through to solicitors. Each stakeholder will expect to be kept up-to-date on the process and this will require you to be on top of things and organised.
- Client driven: what makes a new homes sales negotiator great is being both target and customer driven, and this is hard balance to achieve. You will be driven by a desire to not only meet but exceed client expectations.
- Likeability: unfortunately, there is no exact science to calculate what the ‘likeability’ factor is but to be a great negotiator you need it. You need to put people at ease readily and gain their trust.